As the nation's largest community credit union, we begin every day focused on delivering superior financial products and services for our 1.3 million members and more than $30 billion in managed assets. Our work has an economic impact as we support our members' financial goals. We are unapologetic about being devoted to our members and the communities we serve. Our business is guided by our people helping people philosophy – which includes our team members.
BECU has been in business for more than 85 years, driven by unwavering core values and a dedication to improving the communities we serve. While we have a rich history, the future of our company, accelerated by business and technology transformation, is even brighter. There's never been a better time to work for BECU.
To learn more visit becu.org/careers.
The Target Pay Range for this position is $173,600-$212,000 annually. The full Pay Range is $134,700-$250,900 annually. At BECU, compensation decisions are determined using factors such as relevant job-related skills, experience, and education or training. Should an offer for employment be made, we will consider individual qualifications. In addition to your salary, compensation incentives are available for the hired applicant. Incentives are performance based and targets vary by role.
Employees and their eligible family members have access to a wide array of employee benefits, such as medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage. Employees have access to disability and AD&D insurance. We also offer health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, as well as health savings accounts, to eligible employees. Employees are able to enroll in our company’s 401k plan and employer-funded retirement plan. Newly hired employees accrue 6.16 hours of paid time off (PTO) on a per pay period basis based on hours worked (up to a maximum of 160 PTO hours per year) and receive ten paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Additional details regarding BECU Benefits can be found here.
The Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Economic Capital (EC) Director will support BECU’s overall risk management through a capital management lens and lead a key function impacting the credit union’s ability to analyze, interpret, measure, predict and manage Economic Capital for loan and deposit originations and capital plans. This includes developing, executing, and interpreting statistically derived models in support of Economic Capital assessment, particularly in the Market/Interest Rate Risk area. The Economic Capital Director oversees and leads the activities of the Economic Capital team and acts as the primary liaison between the department and other areas of the Credit Union.
- Perform all responsibilities in accordance with BECU Competencies, compliance, regulatory, and Information Protection requirements.
- Lead and participate in the governance, maintenance, and advancement of Economic Capital at BECU.
- Provide critical feedback as needed of predictive models to ensure consistent model construction and usage that pertain to models developed, re-developed, and calibrated for Economic Capital (such as PD, LDG, EAD). Analyze and identify relationships, trends, and factors that could affect the results of research. Work may include applications and techniques in the Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) space.
- Evaluate statistical methods and procedures used to obtain data to ensure validity, applicability, efficiency, and accuracy as part of the annual review process of data and models used for Economic Capital measurement. Research statistical methods and apply enhancements to existing suite of models to improve accuracy. The following types of models for all loan types are in scope: Probability of Default (PD), Loss Given Default (LGD), Exposure at Default (EAD).
- Determine, implement, and monitor appropriate level of granularity at which Economic Capital is produced and used.
- Produce Economic Capital across all retail and commercial products at a suitable level of granularity to enable use in pricing determination. Support new product development as needed.
- Execute and research, analytical and statistical modeling processes and procedures to ensure consistency of application across EC use cases. Analyze and interpret statistical data and models to identify significant differences in relationships among sources of information.
- Provide leadership and guidance for BECU’s portfolio strategy to include quantification of capital requirements. Participate in setting and managing credit risk appetite and tolerance.
- Partner with other departments at BECU (Treasury, Credit Risk, ERM, Product) to ensure appropriate use of Economic Capital for pricing decisions.
- Partner with stakeholders and present statistical and nonstatistical results. Provide recommendations and guidance on whether statistical methods and models are appropriate to address questions raised by the stakeholders.
- Plan data collection methods for projects and determine the types and sizes of sample groups to be used. Evaluate sources of information to determine any limitations, in terms of reliability or usability.
- Establish, implement, and review Economic Capital reports to ensure that proper management controls are maintained in the various loan areas.
- Develop and submit for approval an annual budget for department expenditures to ensure budget guidelines are met and exceptions are approved.
- Develop, maintain, and leverage a thorough knowledge of all state and federal regulations pertaining to lending and lending functions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in quantitative discipline such as statistics, math, finance, or related field required. Master’s or Ph.D. degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of functional experience in credit, market, or operational risk modeling or similarly quantitative field required. Risk modeling experience in one or more of real estate secured loan products (i.e., mortgage, home equity), auto, credit card and commercial loan products preferred.
- Minimum five years of management experience required. Proven success in leading or directing the work of others.
- Demonstrated knowledge in compliance and federal regulation issues for consumer and commercial lending functions.
- Expert knowledge of statistical techniques and modelling (Logistic/linear Regressions, Time series, Survival Techniques, Clustering, CHAID/Classification trees, VAR, Monte Carlo Analysis Etc.) required.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills required.
- Advanced working knowledge of statistical analytical packages such as SAS, SPSS, Stata and/or R, and SQL preferred.
- Excellent PC skills, with the ability to learn new software and systems required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Proven ability to interact with management at all levels, as well as other risk and model management personnel required.
- Effective leadership and negotiation skills required.
- Full time hours required with additional hours as necessary to accomplish objectives, goals, and projects.
BECU is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
- Remote, SC
- Remote, TX
- Remote, OR
- Remote, GA
- Remote, AZ
- Remote, ID