The Sr Commercial Credit Administrator is responsible for the initial level administration of all commercial business-purpose lending activities including oversight of loan underwriting analytics, portfolio risk management including concentration risks and asset quality at BECU. The role will focus primarily on Commercial Real Estate (CRE), but also include Business Banking/Commercial & Industrial approvals. This position will continually assess Business Services Department credit quality and related risk rating analytic framework, overseeing policy and guideline development in conjunction with the Director, Commercial Credit Administration (CCA) and the Vice President - CCA. The role is also responsible for the approval of all loans within approved credit limits aggregate for business related credit, either directly or with recommendation to the VP, CCA or Senior Loan Committee.
The Sr Commercial Credit Administrator in conjunction with the Director, CCA and the VP, CCA oversees portfolio management analytics and provides credit administration for the commercial portfolios through monitoring, oversight and analysis. In addition, as the first line Credit Administrator, the Sr Commercial Credit Administrator reviews Preflight and loan requests at designated loan amounts. This position also develops recommendations for Commercial Credit Administration annual target risk allocations by loan segment and contributes to annual Front End Guidance/Strategy for Commercial Credit Administration loan loss projections. The incumbent contributes to all initial forecasting for credit quality weighted average risk rating, loan loss reserves and charge-offs, Capital Plan Stress Testing (CPST) methodology, due diligence on potential financial institution acquisitions, counterparty credit risk approvals for Financial Institution Loan Participations and Sales, and supports development and implementation of Current Expected Credit Loss (CECL) methodology.
- Perform all responsibilities in accordance with BECU Competencies, compliance, regulatory and Information Protection requirements.
- Develop and ensure the effective implementation of policies, guidelines and underwriting standards impacting commercial business-purpose lending comprised of Commercial Real Estate (CRE), Commercial & Industrial (C & I) business lending and our small business lending platform (SC) and Small Business Administration (SBA) lending platform.
- Serves as strategic commercial business partner with VP – CCA to Sr Vice President, Commercial & Business Lending, manager in assessing new product and market opportunities as well as assessing reduction of exposures in designated areas.
- Participate in conjunction with the Director, CCA and the Vice President - CCA credit approval for portfolio management risk analytics, including asset quality monitoring and reporting and determination of assets to be transferred to a Commercial Credit Administration Special Assets Officer and oversight of Special Credit workouts.
- Assist with monitoring of problem loan portfolio, including approval monitoring and oversight of problem loan-related action plans. Work towards satisfactory resolution of problem loans in conjunction with the Special Assets Officer and VP, Commercial Credit Administration, including attending member meetings and partnering on calls with Special Assets Officer as needed. Updates Senior Loan committee on key problem loans, a minimum of quarterly, with Special Assets Officer and more frequently as needed.
- In conjunction with the Director, CCA and the Vice President, CCA, advise senior management, Senior Loan Committee, Credit Risk Committee and board committees such as Finance & Risk Committee of any key industry changes in certain commercial real estate segments and property types, as well as the Commercial and Industrial loan portfolio (C & I) and Scored Lending platform.
- Analyze monthly credit quality trends including weighted average risk rating, delinquency and loan loss trends for assessment of monthly and quarterly loan loss reserves for the Allowance for Loan Loss Committee (ALL) in conjunction with Vice President, CCA.
- Complete monthly reporting for loan volume approval activity and analysis and contribute to Portfolio Highlights content and analytics.
- Play a key role in Commercial Real Estate Asset Management (CREAM) project development, implementation and ongoing reporting refinements and analytics.
- Assess ongoing market risk and new market opportunities, including analyzing key market trends and developments in the commercial business credit environment and advising management regarding needed commercial portfolio strategy changes and concentration risk levels.
- Monitor loan portfolio credit quality, assessing the adequacy of assigned risk ratings through the credit approval and review processes. Provide key analytical data and assessment of risk factors for monthly Business Credit Portfolio Highlights report.
- Assess real estate market trends for commercial portfolios, adjusting risk concentration levels accordingly. Analyze industry trends for the expanding Commercial and Industrial (C & I) business segment analyzing risk analytics related to lines of credit and term loans.
- Provide credit administration oversight for the commercial portfolio through monitoring and analysis; oversee the management of problem loans in conjunction with Special Assets Officer (SAO).
- Advise and collaborate with Leadership on matters pertaining to commercial lending and the delegation of lending authorities for loan officers and underwriters.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of regulatory requirements related to business lending and services, including regulatory agencies such as the Department of Financial Institutions and National Credit Union Administration (NCUA).
- Maintain knowledge of all Credit Union departments with business lending responsibilities, taking an active role in ensuring interactions with each of them are consistent with established risk appetite objectives.
- Provide ongoing coaching, mentoring and credit training classes regarding business-purpose credit, key underwriting analytics and industry updates.
- Maintain the necessary operational audit and management information reporting that may be required, keeping statistical records as necessary.
- Serve as member of the Senior Loan Committee, including chairing and preparing the meeting credit package in the absence of the Chair of the Senior Loan Committee.
- Act in the capacity of a Senior Loan Approver of Business Services for the Credit Union, having the credit approval and loan review authority as specified in the Credit Union's Loan Policy Manual.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, or equivalent work or education related experience required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Desired minimum eight years of experience required in commercial credit analysis and approval, including managing commercial credit (primarily real estate, along with commercial and industrial/business loan) portfolios in credit related role preferably as first level Credit Administrator or Underwriting Manager or significant experience in direct commercial lending with minimum portfolio size of $1 Billion.
- Experience with SBA lending (to include underwriting, documentation and monitoring) preferred.
- Proven ability to develop strategies and execute against a clearly defined tactical plan.
- High energy, passion for credit risk management, collaborative business partner with the ability to work and navigate across organizational boundaries and develop relationships at all levels within the organization and external constituencies (i.e. rating agencies, regulators, outside auditors, etc.).
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate and provide excellent Member customer service.
- Ability to explain complex risk analytics to a wide audience.
- Excellent project and portfolio management skills.
- Effective leadership and negotiation skills.
- Occasional travel required.
- Full time hours required, with additional hours as necessary.