The Sr Commercial Portfolio Manager - Construction is responsible for commercial credit analysis and underwriting relationship activities specializing in commercial ground-up construction and renovation projects. The role ensures consistency with BECU’s Member Business Lending policies and commercial credit standards for existing BECU commercial loans. The Sr Commercial Portfolio Manager - Construction provides credit and loan analysis, underwriting and relationship expertise supporting the construction loan programs and works closely with the Directors of Commercial Portfolio Management and Commercial Underwriting, Relationship Managers and Commercial Credit, along with the Commercial and Business Services team and BECU prospects and members. This role will have Independent Credit Authority and is responsible for recommending risk rating changes and underwriting credit for the large and complex Commercial Real Estate (CRE) Construction segment.
- Perform all responsibilities in accordance with BECU Competencies, compliance, regulatory and Information Protection requirements.
- Serve as program expert on CRE Construction for BECU. Stay updated on local and regional supply and demand, underwriting parameters, credit risk, market trends, regulatory changes and performance within the Construction segment.
- Maintain an assigned portfolio of Construction Business Credits and complete annual reviews, extensions of credit and handle new related credit requests.
- With the assistance of the Commercial Construction Loan Specialist, oversee the administrative activities of the program, including funding periodic construction loan draw requests.
- Complete financial spreads and underwrite new relationship credits as needed.
- Work with the borrower, legal and Relationship Managers to work out troubled loans assigned in the portfolio until BECU’s Credit Risk Special Assets department takes over the relationship.
- Analyze financial data related to new and renewal loan requests.
- Provide recommendations to Business Services leadership on new credit requests and annual reviews.
- Recommend and/or approve credit requests within lending authority.
- Recommend risk ratings and pricing for each annually reviewed, renewed or newly approved credit.
- Work with attorneys and other financial or legal resources to obtain correct and accurate loan structures to fully protect BECU’s interests in the credit relationship.
- Coach, partner with, mentor and provide technical and consultative assistance regarding Business Services when requested.
- Negotiate credit terms, costs, repayment methods and collateral specifications, within lending authority.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of commercial lending policies and procedures and keep up to date on regulation changes.
- Actively promote BECU through community involvement and/or industry related organizations.
- Perform additional duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or related field required, or equivalent work or educational experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in Commercial Real Estate (CRE) preferably with experience lending on ground-up commercial construction projects, underwriting and relationship management in financial institutions.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience using a variety of analytical tools to spread financial statements, analyze credit quality, analyze balance sheets, assess cash flow, model base case and downside forecasts, evaluate risk and support credit approval.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills in Commercial Real Estate (CRE) and commercial construction lending, including in-depth knowledge of industry practices.
- Advanced credit and credit quality skills including accounting, financial statement spreading, and cash flow analysis experience.
- Advanced knowledge of credit policies, procedures, practices and documentation.
- Proficient verbal and written skills to effectively communicate.
- Effective leadership and negotiation skills.
- Full-time hours required, with additional hours as necessary.