The Director, Commercial Lending – Primary Market is responsible for leading and developing the Commercial Banking team in acquiring and growing business member relationships for BECU’s Business Services organization. The Director, Commercial Lending - Primary Market develops and leads the execution of an integrated sales, service and relationship strategy and builds/manages the commercial client portfolio. In addition, the role builds and maintains strong relationships with Center of Influence (COI) referral sources, internal business partners, Neighborhood Financial Center (NFC) leadership, and through external community involvement to ensure Credit Union Strategic Objectives are met.
- Perform all responsibilities in accordance with BECU Competencies, competencies, regulatory and Information Protection requirements.
- Lead the team to ensure optimal team performance in the growth of BECU’s member business relationships, while maintaining the highest levels of service, relationship management and member engagement.
- Support the team in business development, acquisition and management of commercial relationships (both CRE and C&I) through the development of an active referral network per team member, disciplined prospecting routines, and regular follow-up techniques.
- Lead the team’s relationship management functions including business development, business member engagement, credit selection and loan structuring, and overall portfolio and credit risk management.
- Build and oversee the commercial client portfolio to ensure maximum return to members, seamless operational delivery, adherence to BECU’s policies/procedures, portfolio quality and an optimal member experience.
- Provide ongoing coaching, mentoring and training of staff to develop and encourage their performance. Meet with staff on a timely basis for the purpose of conducting personnel evaluations and providing feedback.
- Ensure the cross-sell and referral of appropriate products and services. Optimize revenues/return to member and business member value by focusing on high value added relationships and transactions. Provide product expertise, creative business solutions and timely, relevant responses to member needs.
- Ensure the developed commercial portfolio complies with the Credit Union’s credit and risk guidelines. Responsible for the growth and maintenance of a high quality loan portfolio through the proper selection of new credit and the effective monitoring of booked credits.
- Manage vendor contracts within areas of responsibility, working directly with vendors to ensure BECU members are receiving cost efficient and quality service whenever third party assistance is provided to our members.
- Participate in the development of annual business plans to include membership, loans, deposits, and non-interest income in order to meet Credit Union goals and support Strategic Objectives.
- Recommend new and maintain existing business partner relationships, including partnerships supporting payroll processing, merchant services, treasury management and investment services, while maintaining acceptable service level agreements.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of state and federal regulatory compliance laws, credit union credit policy, business & commercial loan products and services, accounting, marketing, sales, and financial and credit/portfolio management principles.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration required or equivalent work or educational experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum seven years of experience leading commercial relationship/sales teams required.
- Minimum eight years of commercial credit and relationship management experience in mid-sized commercial banking environment(s) required
- Effective leadership, team-building, coaching and personnel development skills required.
- Excellent sales and business development skills and proven ability to effectively manage sales for the achievement of individual team member and overall team goals required.
- Proficient verbal and written skills required to effectively communicate in the English language
- Strong financial acumen and analytical skills and understanding of product profitability and pricing analysis required.
- Full time hours required, with additional hours as necessary.
- Moderate travel required.